US Navy veteran, live in caregiver for my 99 yo Mother, Nana and Great Nana

My 100 year old Mama died on August 28, 2024. Social Security deposited a check for the month of August in our checking account. They froze MY checking account with a "death reclamation" in order to take back the entire check. I asked what about the 28 days of August that my Mama was alive, having expenses to pay? The SSA rep said that if she dies on even the last day of the month, that check will be reclaimed. That "freeze" on my checking account created false overdrawn charges. My daughter had to wire transfer me to pay my house payment. I am not whining about this situation, I am furious. That money does not belong to SSA - but to the recipients who paid into SSA all their working lives. The SSA policy should be to prorate the check.

I am blessed beyond anything because I was there with my Mama to her very last breath on this earth. She was literally lifted up by angels from her bed into the loving arms of our Lord. Nothing of this world can ever take that from me.

Lover of God, my husband & children, parents & siblings! Writer; musician-composer, Family Counselor; Patriot, Thinker who connects dots

In response Brandy Molina to her Publication

DEAREST BRANDY,
You must know, we all fell in love with your mom, when you first began sharing about her. And we have held you in the highest regard because of you loving care of her, and also for your service to our country!

WITH GREAT CONFIDENCE, we know your mom is walking on streets of glory, having lived a long and good life! Because she loved our Savior, she is at rest.

SOC SECURITY - The regulation used to be if anyone passed away in any part of a month, that money was cleared for that person's family to use for whatever! I am surprised it changed, but still check with your congress rep. Some of these agency personnel have become drunk with power since BIDEN/ HARRIS entered.

In the meantime, you have our prayers for consolation and comfort from above!
- Alexis

In response Alexis Hightower to her Publication

Thank you so much for your comment. See - we never realize how many loving friends we have on AU. My daughter and her family gifted me a German Shepard puppy to be with me. I named her Maggie Mae after my Mama. I'm training her to be a Therapy dog. I can take her around hospitals, nursing homes and even to some schools. She is already in training and I am right with her. God never leaves us without love and kindness.

Such a beautiful dog!!! You will receive much comfort from her!

Please know, you will remain in my prayers as you walk through your 'new normal.'

Only people mentioned by @Lexi_Hightower in this post can reply

In response Alexis Hightower to her Publication

Funny you should say that "new normal". My daughter just told me to think about that "new normal". She told me that she and her husband want to help me with my finances to get me to a place where I want to do the things I have placed on HOLD while taking care of my Mama. That is an offer NEVER before offered to me. She called it my "new normal". I must learn how to embrace this since I have always worked on two to three jobs until I looked after my Mama. God please help me follow the path before me with your Holy Spirit. Thank you for my family who support me with a " new normal".

You are lucky and must’ve been a hell of a mama for her to offer that. I know you were probably taught independence but take that offer. You invested in it your entire life. Go you!

(1) Show this thread