My Polish/Slovakian side is makin some of grandmas recipes. Her actual recipes. As an AF brat you miss out on alot. She made me some of her recipes when I went to visit as a child. : )

Only people mentioned by @AmericanFoster in this post can reply

In response Stephanie Foster to her Publication

Pure Slovak here. Good old halupki. A Polish friend said they make it with mushroom soup in the sauce and that's how I make it now. Always make it on Christmas Eve. My mother made mushroom soup with sauerkraut and bilbolki (I don't know how to spell it) it's a round bread. https://soupnbread.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/slovak-mushroom-sauerkraut-soup/

In response Telesia Birdwell to her Publication

What are the meal times in Poland?
Polish Meals

śniadanie – breakfast. This is a hearty meal from about 5.30amto 7am to set you up for the day. ...
drugie śniadanie – second breakfast. This will be eaten at about 11am. ...
obiad – dinner – the main meal of the day. This is eaten between 1pm and 5pm with around 3pm being a very popular time. ...
kolacja – supper.

Cursory research, on memories.

In response Telesia Birdwell to her Publication

I also LOOOOOOOVE sauerkraut. : )

(5) Show this thread

Golumpki, and some nut bread, my cousin who is the child of my dads twin sister. AND some cheese bread, I always remember that as SO good. First gen over here, her parents fled over here, or should we say braved to start a new life.

I remind myself, they didn't have cruise ships back then or a pre built home to go and be safe. REAL backbone......and said "they were all fighting over there, but not my parents, they fell in love and came over here to start a new life."

i am part polish also...i make some mean golumpki...and with mashed potatoes!!!!..stick to your ribs good...............

(2) Show this thread