If you have neigbors, or friends, who are 'old and alone', don't forget to check on them. A quick 'hey, how ya doin'' phone call means a lot, and can also divert disaster. Quick personal story: My one friend of 60+ years, lives alone and has medical issues galore. Her family is busy, and they don't really check on her very often. I told her that I'd be calling or sending a text every day/every other day, just to check in and yak a while. A few days ago, I called numerous times, and texted...always get a text back. I didn't hear from her by morning of day 3, I called her daughter to go check on her. Her phone was dead, her back surgery didn't heal (bone pressing on cord & nerves)...she could not get out of bed for 3 days. Nothing to eat or drink, or get her insulin she needs! She actually had to be rescued. I only tell the story to remind people, that older folk, esp. living by themselves, need to be checked on here and there. Her Dr said one more day and she would have died.

That AND if you can afford it, get them a life alert. We got one for my husband's stubborn, who wants to live alone thousands of miles away from us, who we offered to her to live with us in Hawaii, grandmother-96 years old bless her heart.

There is other family that do live near her and friends and neighbors that check on her as well.

She has used it TWICE in the last 7 years. She fell. She loves having it! The response came in minutes to get her back on her feet. Excellent service!

It's $35 a month.

In response Joyce Zikursh to her Publication

Only people mentioned by @Alcyone in this post can reply

In response Alcyone 777 to her Publication

Life Alert...duh..didn't even cross my mind, but that's a great idea! Thanks, I will make the suggestion to her kids. I expect after her surgical spine (re-)repair, she probably won't get back to her own digs for a month or two. She's at her daughters right now, and I'm thankful for that as she still can't do anything on her own. Glad neighbors and friends are checking up on your hub's 96 yr old gram, glad she's got caring people around!