I used to talk to people I considered good "friends" who I felt very comfortable around and didn't feel the need to watch what I was saying, one person in particular claimed to be a pretty liberal-type person, worked and lived in a very liberal area, but they would often make racist/sexist jokes to me and I would go along with it, not really realizing how much I was suppressing my own personality and what I knew was right deep down (which was to not be racist/sexist etc) in order to maintain that comfort level in our relationship. I wouldn't want the NSA releasing older texts I sent to various people I knew, if you know everything is being watched and recorded then you really need to act the way you want to be perceived by the whole world now, because there is no private/public persona anymore, just you and how you want to be all the time. I knew that one person for decades and they ultimately became basically a nemesis, have to be careful of everyone

Only people mentioned by @notsteverogers42017 in this post can reply

In response Steve Rogers to his Publication

Since I stopped communicating with those people I wouldn't say life has gotten better, but I personally feel better about myself, I don't have to act a certain way just to appease the people I found myself around mostly out of circumstance, and I like the person I have allowed myself to become as a result, even if I still have a hard time getting along with people I now know things for certain about myself that might've been questionable when I was allwoing myself to be influenced by others who claimed to be my friends but weren't really

In response Steve Rogers to his Publication

and that doesn't mean I am a good person, I can always do more self-improvement work, can't change bad things I've done in the past either, but I know I am not as bad a person as I used to be

(1) Show this thread