Only followers of this user (@Shin) can see their posts

Chickens do not lay as much in Winter as the days are shorter - it is controlled by the, length of the day or if they are molting... yes, they tend to molt in Autumn/Winter so they are all pretty for Spring...

I feed 'flock raiser' because I have a rooster, and the extra calcium for the shells is not good for him, I put oyster shell down separately.

I have 6 laying hens, a broody, and a rooster and I am getting an egg from each layer every 2nd day which is average.

Chickens have a set number of ova, and 3 years is about their production life. Some chickens lay an egg a day, my Black Sex Link did, until a coyote got her. 😔 others lay every second day. My 6 layers are not a year yet, so I am thinking production with increase this Spring. I intend to breed them 2024.

The broody, is an Australorp she has never laid a single egg.

Chickens are not machines, they have quirks, just like people.

wwwbackyardchickens.com

This is a really good resource

In response Shin Riimo to his Publication

Only people mentioned by @Tallyho in this post can reply

In response Carole Davis-Z to her Publication

I learned the same thing about shorter days in the winter and older gals not laying. Howevr, I recently changed their food to some with higher protein and my 6 year old girl is laying eggs in winter with no extra light. She dies not lay as many as the younger ones but she has laid 6 in the past 3 weeks and only laid one this year before the food change.

US LEGAL resident alien, WWG1WGA, Out of Darkness into Light. Tallyho!!

In response Eyes on The Light to her Publication

What food did you change to?

I used to use Layena by Purina.

(1) Show this thread